Monday, August 13, 2012

My Enraging Makeup Discovery


My goat has been got. I’m actually shaking with rage, confusion, nausea, and joy.
Let me explain:
All summer I’ve been experiencing the unholiest of breakouts. I stopped using makeup completely and babied my skin until it was more or less normal. One of the first products I started using again was my favorite face powder, Bare Minerals Mineral Veil. Since my skin was still finicky and sensitive I was being extra careful about reading the packaging and figuring out what ingredients made their way into the final product.
That’s how I found this:
Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Corn Starch Modified, Zinc Stearate, Magnesium Stearate. (+/-): Mica, Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, Ci 77492, Ci 77499).
That is the ingredients list for a twenty dollar tin of powder.
Cornstarch.
My ridiculously overpriced face powder is made of the same stuff I put into some pudding yesterday.
I assumed that one of the other ingredients would be the magical thing that helped my skin and locked my makeup in place. I tested the plain cornstarch against the original powder.
My face looked exactly the same.
Turns out, there's no reason to buy wildly marked up face powder; just buy cornstarch, put it in an old powder or mint container, and apply as usual. It’s completely translucent and equally effective.
The only difference between the supermarket version and the department store one is the price:
$1.50 for 16 ounces of cornstarch vs. $20 for 0.3 ounces or powder.
26 cents vs. 20 dollars.
I call that winning.

No comments:

Post a Comment