Saturday, June 16, 2012

Words We Don't Have in the English Language

Let's face it—there are some actions, emotions, and ideas that the English language just can't convey. And where English drops the ball, other languages have provided that cathartic miracle of having just the right words for weirdly specific situations that most of us are familiar with... such as:

Koi No Yokan
 Language: Japanese
 Meaning: The feeling after meeting someone for the first time that the two of you are going to fall in love.
 Example: I’m pretty sure if I could finagle a way to get Shia Lebeouf and myself in the same room, this would happen. I can almost guarantee it. I would say, “That sensation you’re experiencing at this very moment is called koi no yokan,” and he would say, “Is this a kidnapping? My people can afford the ransom, I swear. Please stop grabbing my face.”

Mamihlapinatapai
 Language: Yaghan
 Meaning: This refers to a wordless but entirely meaningful look between two people, both of whom desire something but are unwilling to initiate it themselves.
 Example: I just now told my mum, “You know this recurring issue we keep having? There’s a word for it. It’s called mamihlapinatapai,” and she said, “Wow,” and then we both continued to stare at the overflowing trashcan, desperately wishing the other person would take care of it.

Tingo
 Language: Pascuense (Easter Island)
 Meaning: The act of taking objects from a friend by “borrowing” them until they have nothing left.
 Example: Once in 2nd Grade, this audacious little hell-raiser called Brett gradually “borrowed” each of my French fries until they were all gone. I don’t know why I didn’t realize he was going to eat them; I guess I just assumed he was going to make a French fry tower and then graciously return them to me. Was this a common enough occurrence that it warranted its own term? You’ve got to wonder if there are lesions of thieving so-called “friends” running rampant on Easter Island, stealing French fries and shattering dreams.

Backpfeifengesicht
 Language: German
 Meaning: Literally “a face in need of a fist.”
 Example: Brett the dream-killing French fry-stealer.

Kummerspeck
 Language: German
 Meaning: This refers to weight gain as a result of emotional overeating, literally translating to "grief bacon."
 Example: There were times after Harry Potter ended wherein I could (and did) engage in “grief bacon” like the champion of Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream-eating couch potatoes, sobbing things like “DOBBY” and “WHY.”

Shemomedjamo
 Language: Georgian
 Meaning: This is when you’re technically full, but the food is so mind-bogglingly delicious that you keep eating—despite all sorts of bodily signals that your stomach is just not equipped for that much food consumption. It literally translates to “I accidentally ate the whole thing,” as if someone were accidentally propelling food into your mouth over the course of a meal with a small catapult.
 Example: My life.

No comments:

Post a Comment